On March 22, 2012 at the Ashe Cultural Arts Center of New Orleans a very interesting panel took place.
The Lens convened a panel of five criminal and juvenile criminal justice experts from the New Orleans area to address issues surrounding the new French Quarter Curfew, LGBTQ youth issues in juvenile facilities, the rebuilding of the Youth Studies Center, and the school-to-prison pipeline. (While the discussion is focused on New Orleans, many of the topics covered are relevant to communities everywhere.)
The experts on the panel included:
- Dana Kaplan – Executive Director of Juvenile Justice Project of Louisiana (See our prior interview with her here.)
- Wes Ware – Founder & Director of BreakOUT!
- Michael Bradley – Deputy Chief District Defender
- Eden Heilman – Senior Staff Attorney at Southern Poverty Law Center
- Alison McCrary – Soros Justice Advocacy Fellow at Safe Streets/Strong Communities
Here is the full panel. Please note that the video begins after panel introduction.